The syllabus is a roadmap for students and a planning guide for teachers. Most instructors are familiar in general terms with the idea of a syllabus and know that it provides an overview of a course. They may not realize how significant the syllabus is in setting course expectations and they may not know how or why to create a living syllabus that includes more visual elements and that can be updated as a course progresses.
This 20-Minute Mentor gives ideas to make your syllabus more engaging, more student-centered, and more creative without a lot of extra effort. You’ll be able to turn a typically dry document into a living, engaging, and interactive student resource that can include multimedia, a series of slides, or a connected group of visuals—all created without any special technical know-how. Additionally, you’ll explore how to re-envision an existing syllabus so it will resonate with students.
Upon completion of this program, you’ll be able to:
• Create more engaging syllabi
• Implement frameworks for developing a new syllabus and for upgrading an existing syllabus
• Discover new tools and techniques for creating engaging syllabi that will help engage students at the start of a course
• Confidently assess a syllabus’s engagement potential
• Introduce a syllabus in new ways to spark student interest early in a course